This article presents how to install Suse Linux Enterprise Server SP3 – service pack 3.
I assume you have already downloaded Suse Linux Enterprise Server SP3 64 bit(it’s about 4GB) and you know how to use VirtualBox 64 bit(100M). Create virtual machine with default settings for Suse openSuse 64 bit. 1GB ram(I set 4GB for future use) and 64G for disk is enough plus increase video memory to 128M and turn on acceleration 3D. Rest of options you can keep default.
1. Select “Installation” and press enter
2. Here you can change Language and Keyboard settings. Check checkbox “I Agree to the Licence Terms”. Click “Next” button to continue.
3. Verify your installation disk or ISO file or just click “Next” button to continue.
4. Checks are execute for hardware
5. Just click “Next” button
6. Select region for your installation. Click “Next” button to continue.
7. Accept default settings “Physical Machine” and click “Next” button.
8. There are two tabs “Overview” and ‘Expert” where you can change all settings. On “Overview” tab click “Software” link.
9. Check checkbox “Oracle Server Base” to install packages for Oracle. It’s optional but I’m doing it for future presentation for Oracle binaries installation. Click “Ok” button.
10. Click “Install” button.
11. Confirm by click on “Install” button to continue.
12. Installation should take about 30 minutes. Once it’s done your system will reboot automatically.
13. Once your host is started set password for root user and verify your keyboard. Click “Next” button.
14. Enter hostname and domain name and click “Next” button.
15. There are many settings that can be customized for Network
16. Here you can register your host in Novell for technical support or skip it and continue with installation.
17. Here you can configure Suse services. Click “Next” button.
18. Select authentication method that will be used to login to Suse.
19. Enter username and password to login later to Suse. As default login as root is not possible directly.
20. This screen presents latest release notes for Suse 11 service pack 3.
21. Graphic card detection is started.
22. Installation is completed. Click “Finish” button.
23. Just login to OS with your user defined in point 19.
Have a fun 🙂