This article presents how to install Fedora 24 – Live Workstation version.
I assume you have already downloaded Fedora 24 64 bit Live Workstation(about 1,4 G) and you know how to use VirtualBox 64 bit(100M). Create virtual machine with default settings for Linux Fedora 64 bit. 4GB ram and 64G(includes extra space and memory for Oracle installations) for disk is enough plus increase video memory to 128M. Rest of options you can keep default.
1. Boot from dvd or iso file. Select first option “Start Fedora Live” and press “enter” key.
2. Click “Install to Hard Drive”.
3. Select your language and clink “Continue” button.
4. Here you can change many options for your host like:
- date and time localization
- network settings
At least you must complete settings for marked part “INSTALLATION DESTINATION”. Just click on it.
5. Select your disk to install Fedora. You can change partitioning here (I don’t do it). When you are happy click “Done”.
6.Click “DATE & TIME” option.
7. Configure your time,date, region, city, automatic time synchronization via network. When you are happy click “Done” button.
8. You are back on main screen click “Begin installation” button.
9. Installation has been started. You need to change password for root user during installation. Click on “ROOT PASSWORD”.
10. Change password for user root and press “Done”.
11. You are back on installation screen. Click “USER CREATION” to add extra user.
12. Enter extra user name, password, check checkbox “Make this user administrator”. The user will be used to login to Fedora. When it’s done click “Done” button.
13. Installation will continue. When it’s completed click “Quit” button.
14. This picture shows main screen of “Fedora 24″.
15. If you reboot again you should see following screen. To login to “Fedora 24″ click on your username in my case “tomasz”.
16. Enter password for the user and click “Sign-in” button.
17. After first login you need to specify OS language for the user.
18. Select keyboard type an set privacy settings
19. Optionally configure “Cloud” options for the user like facebook, windows live, google etc. or click “Skip” button to continue.
20. Just click “Start using Fedora”.
21. You should see introduction informations about Gnome.
22. Following picture shows main screen of “Fedora 24″.
23. It’s time to change hostname. Login as root user in terminal and execute following commands to change hostname to other name. In my case it’s fedora.dbaora.com
hostnamectl set-hostname fedora.dbaora.com --static
and modify /etc/hosts to set new name for hostname
127.0.0.1 fedora.dbaora.com fedora
In the moment I was writing this article Virtual Box guest doesn’t support latest version of Xorg so the only solution is to downgrade it to version 22. After downgrade reboot machine and reinstall Virtual Box guest.
dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 \ downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
Have a fun 🙂