This article presents how to install Fedora 19.
I assume you have already downloaded Fedora 19 64 bit(about 4 G) and you know how to use VirtualBox 64 bit(100M). Create virtual machine with default settings for Linux Fedora 64 bit. 1GB ram and 32G for disk is enough plus increase video memory to 128M and turn on acceleration 3D. Rest of options you can keep default.
1. Boot from dvd or iso file. Select first option “Install Fedora 19” and press “enter” key.
2. Select your language and clink “Continue” button
3. Here you can change many options for your host like:
- date and time
- language support
- network settings
At least you must complete settings for marked part “Installation Destination”. Just click on it.
4. Select your disk to install Fedora. You can change partitioning here. When you are happy click “Done”.
5. Just click “Continue” to automatically configure storage.
6. Just click “Begin installation” button.
7. Installation has been started. You need to change password for root user during installation. Click on “ROOT PASSWORD”.
8. Change password for user root and press “Done”.
9. You are back on installation screen. When installation is completed just click on “Reboot” to restart machine.
10. After first reboot you should see following screen. Choose your language preferences and click “Next” button.
11. Select your keyboard preferences. You can add here more keyboards if you click “+”. Click “Next” button to continue.
12. Add extra user and set his password to login to Fedora. When it’s done click “Next” button.
13. Select your location then click “Next” button.
14. It’s new option you can synchronize your local data with cloud services like “Goggle”, “Facebook” etc. I present here adding google account. Click “Add Account” button.
15. Select “Google” service
16. Enter your “Google” credentials and click “Sign in”.
17. You can see here your “Google” cloud services are set. Click “Next” button.
18. Just click “Start using GNOME 3” button.
19. You should see introduction movie about Gnome 3 and Gnome help.
20. This picture shows main screen of “Fedora 19”.
21. If you reboot again you should see following screen. To login to “Fedora 19” click on your username in my case “tomasz”.
22. You should see screen to enter password for your user. Once it’s done click on “Sign-in” button.
23. You should see main screen of “Fedora 19”
24. It’s time to change hostname. Login as root user in terminal and execute following commands to change hostname to other name. In my case to fedora.dbaora.com
hostnamectl set-hostname fedora.dbaora.com --static
and modify /etc/hosts to set new name for hostname
127.0.0.1 fedora.dbaora.com fedora
Hostname configuration moved from
fully qualified domain name. A system may also have a transient hostname assigned by a dhcp server. hostnamectl is provided for administering these hostnames:
||Set pretty hostname.|
||Set static hostname.|
||Set transient hostname.|
||Without arguments, hostnamectl will apply to all hostname types.|
||Show current hostname settings|
Have a fun 🙂